I was 17 years old when I went on an airplane for the first time, from Moncton, New Brunswick to Toronto, Ontario. As Miss Teen New Brunswick, I was a finalist in the Miss Teen Canada-World pageant which was being held in “the big city”. Thankfully, my parents came with me and it made the experience much less scary and more exciting. Other than my excruciating ear pain, my flight was enjoyable and exhilarating. From then on, I have flown at least a few times every year, for the last 7 years. I would have never pegged myself as someone who would LOVE flying, but alas, here I am, writing a post entitled, “Why I Love Flying”.
I understand packing and getting to the airport on time can be stressful and hectic. My empathy goes out to the families I have seen traveling with young children; It cannot be easy. Since I am still at a time in my life where the only person I am responsible for is myself, it definitely takes the pressure off traveling. In fact, I find the whole experience quite relaxing.
Typically, I fly with Porter Airlines. When I am through security, Porter has a comfy lounge with Wifi, free coffee, tea and snacks. Since I give myself tons of time before my flights, I usually sit and enjoy a coffee and some granola while reading, downloading music for the flight, or getting work done.
I carry a large purse with many activities and products I may want on the plane, as well as an extra sweater and socks to stay cosy and warm. Thankfully, heights don’t bother me, so the main reason why I love flying is because I consider it free time to myself.
Some of my flight essentials include:
- Face & Hand Moisturizer – Flying is the perfect time for skin care! The air can get so dry on a plane.
- The book I am reading – I sometimes feel car-sick when I read in a vehicle, but never on a plane! The time passes so fast while reading a great book
- A notepad & pen – I’ve written many songs while on a plane! Inspiration tends to hit me at 40,000 feet so I always make sure to keep some paper on hand.
- Sudoku or a Colouring Book – A perfect way to clear your mind! I rarely have time for these activities unless I am on a plane.
- Travel Pillow – I live for guilt-free naps.
- A new iTunes Playlist – Another reason why I love flying is because I have time to listen to lots of new music.
With some airlines, like Porter, they even provide in-flight entertainment like new movies and TV shows, free snacks, and even complimentary wine! Honestly, nothing beats it and I look forward to every flight.
Of course, not every flight goes smoothly, sometimes there are delays, turbulence, unpleasant smells, etc. I choose to go into my traveling days with a positive attitude, treating it like a day to myself. No sense in worrying about something before anything even happens. Besides, chances are your flight will go without a hitch and before you know it you will be landing and onto your next adventure!
What are your thoughts on travel days? Let me know in the comments below! I hope if you do have any travel anxiety that “why I love flying” gave you a different perspective. Maybe someday you will learn to love it as much as I do.
Well, on that note, time to go home for Christmas! May your holiday flights be stress-free and smooth-sailing (…flying?)
Post Related To “Why I Love Flying”: Lonely or Bored? 25 Things To Do!