You may have seen my post entitled 48 New Year’s Resolutions: January – April where I explained that I was going to be challenging myself this year in terms of resolutions. Each month, I am giving myself 4 goals to work on and improve myself. I have divided my personal goals into 4 categories: Mental Growth, Physical Health, Career & Success and Expanding My Horizons. It is hard to believe that the past month has gone by so quickly, meaning it is time for my January Resolutions Recap.
Here is a reminder of what my goals were for the month:
- Mental Growth: Learn a New Language – Italian
- Physical Health: Plank Challenge – 2 x 2 minutes every day
- Career & Success: Budget & Limit Spending – no restaurants or impulse buys
- Expanding Horizons: Try Foods & Recipes- 5 new foods/recipes
So, how did I do? Which goals were a success and which slipped through my fingers?
January Resolutions Recap:
1. I did make a conscious effort to learn Italian this month. I work at a restaurant with a few people that speak fluently in Italian, and they were such a great help. It was a lot of fun and I am already starting to comprehend bits and pieces of sentences to figure out what is being said.
I am definitely not proficient in this language yet, but I did learn how to say quite a few words and short phrases over the last 30 days. I think I would like to continue this goal throughout the year. Maybe I will download an app that helps you learn a language, or start watching shows in Italian!
2. When I went home for Christmas, my Dad and I had a lot of fun doing plank challenges against each other. We held one of our planks for 2 minutes and 50 seconds. So, when thinking of a physical challenge for January’s resolutions, I thought continuing my planking wouldn’t be too hard. Let’s just say I didn’t really follow through (at all) with this goal, so I will be adding it onto my physical health goals for February.
3. This was a very challenging task for me. Typically, my boyfriend and I go out for breakfast at least once a week. Not only that, but I go to dinner way too much with friends and I’ve noticed it’s where the majority of my monthly savings goes. This month, David and I only went out for breakfast once, I worked from home the entire month (instead of spending at a café), and I made way more meals in my own kitchen.
Treating ourselves in moderation is so much better than emptying your bank account and feeling guilty about it afterwards. I plan on continuing to save money this year by eating out less, and quitting online clothes shopping.
Trying New Foods
4. During the month of January, I had fun trying new foods. I grew up being such a fussy eater and only recently have branched out of my comfort zone. I tried eggplant for the first time, and didn’t like it very much. One thing I LOVED and will definitely try again is tandoori spiced salmon. This Indian spice is so delicious and flavourful! I tried potato & spring leek soup which was sooo good! I definitely need to learn how to make it at home.
As for recipes, I did make my roommate’s swiss zopf bread recipe by myself for the first time, which was a success! In the grand scheme of trying food, I am still very picky and there are many things I am not brave enough to try yet. Stepping out of my food comfort zone has been a fun experience and I can’t wait to try making and eating more new dishes in the near future!
As a whole, I would say that 3/4 goals were successful based on my January Resolutions Recap. As for the plank challenge, I will add it onto my list of February Resolutions so I can still accomplish it this year. May no goal be left behind! Here is a look at my February Resolutions!
Upcoming February Resolutions:
Mental Growth: Retreat – vacation for mental wellness
Physical Health: 2/3 meals are vegan – plus plank challenge 2 mins x twice a day
Career & Success: Grow Social Media Platforms – increase followers & make content
Expanding Horizons: Travel Somewhere New – 25th birthday trip
I am so very excited to tackle these new challenges this month! The most difficult will probably be the physical health resolutions, which was also the hardest from my January Resolutions Recap. I wonder if the physical health goals being the most challenging will be a trend this year. If so, I will learn a lot about myself and focus on becoming better in that area.
What are your goals for the month of February? Let me know in the comments below 🙂
How are you doing on your resolutions so far? Make sure to reach out and let me know on Twitter Instagram Pinterest !
Related Post: January Blog Post Round-Up