Imagine your brain is a field of tall grass. To get from one end of the field to another, you must make a path. If you travel this path every day, it becomes well-rooted and engrained solidly into the grass. That is what happens with thought patterns in the brain. After thinking the same thoughts, good or bad, true or false, each and every day, you develop deeply-rooted neuropathways. The problem is, some of our thoughts can be limiting, critical and damaging. For this reason, it is important to know how to successfully create new thought patterns and train your brain to be more positive.
Regardless how true a statement may be, if we repeat it to our subconscious mind, it will believe it. This can be detrimental to our self-confidence if we are not choosing uplifting thoughts and behaviours.
We must remember: Thoughts have power over you, but you have power over your thoughts.
So, how do we create new thought patterns?
- Firstly, identify any limiting beliefs you may have placed on yourself.
- Explore the reasons behind this belief, and whether you are allowing it to have too much control over your potential.
- Do you struggle with self-criticism, or do you catastrophize situations, making them seem worse than they really are?
Keep in mind, all of these thoughts and feelings are normal. Fortunately, due to the flexibility (neuroplasticity) of our brains, we can create new thought patterns with just a little conscious effort.
- Next, decide that you will pay extra close attention to any negative thoughts that run through your brain. Notice them, and replace them with gratitude and positive-thinking. The trick is to distinguish which subconscious beliefs are damaging in order to create the new thought patterns.
- If optimism seems tough at first, try realism. Chances are, being realistic is already a step up from any negative thoughts, without even trying to be ultra-positive. Seeing the silver-lining in every situation takes time, so start with just seeing situations for what they really are, rather than altering it with a pessimistic view.
- Develop positive affirmations that counter your limiting beliefs and repeat them to yourself every day. If you don’t know where to start, come back tomorrow for day 2 of Manifest Success where I will be sharing a ton of positive affirmations you can use.
- Try not to over-exaggerate with negative language. It is easy to say “I can’t” when you in fact can do something, or “This is the worst day ever” when there are many things you could be grateful for. Shift your attention and look at life from your new thought patterns.
In the end, this is not an easy task, but it is possible to create new thought patterns. It can truly manifest success into your life. It takes time and patience, and sometimes it might even take help from a life coach, a friend or family member. Be kind to yourself because it doesn’t happen overnight.
Be the master of your mood and do not let your thoughts control you; You can control your thoughts with practice. Just train your brain!
What other ways do you manifest success into your life? Have you ever tried creating new thought patterns? How did it work for you? Let me know in the comments below, I would love to hear your story.
Related Post: Sometimes, You Can Be Selfish