Benefits of Napping

benefits of napping

Basically, I decided to research this topic in order to justify how much I love napping haha. Once I realized how many successful people nap on a regular basis, and how important it is to maintaining good health, I knew I had to share it with you! There are so many amazing benefits of napping and if you’re anything like me, this is a huge relief!


There seems to be a bit of a stigma surrounding napping this day and age. People who take cat-naps are sometimes considered to be lazy, or lacking in ambition. However, there are so many benefits of napping, and health experts even suggest that napping is just as important in your daily routine as a healthy diet and exercise!

Benefits of Napping

  • Relaxation, Stress Relief

  • Increased Mood, Alertness, Performance

  • Reduced Fatigue

  • Fewer Mistakes & Accidents

  • Better Reaction Time, Memory

Health professionals recommend a maximum of 90 minutes when napping in order to avoid grogginess or interrupting your nighttime sleep.

The ideal nap would be 20-30 minutes to improve alertness and lower your stress levels. Even if you don’t end up falling asleep, laying down and resting your eyes can work wonders and lower your blood pressure.

For a double boost of energy, drink a coffee right before taking a 20 minute nap. Since caffeine takes about 20 minutes to kick in, you will be extra alert when you wake up!

benefits of nappingMany of us are sleep deprived and we don’t even know it. Before artificial light was invented by Thomas Edison back in 1879, people slept an average of 9 hours at night. Now that we have the lightbulb, it has been reduced by 120 minutes to only 7 hours per night! Funny enough, Thomas Edison was a huge advocate of napping himself! He would only sleep 3-4 hours at night, but would supplement that with several 3 hour naps throughout the day.

Funny enough, us humans are part of only 15% of mammals that have a specific time to sleep. The other 85%, called polyphasic sleepers, have short resting times throughout the day.

When is the best time to nap?

In order to avoid interrupting your nighttime sleep schedule, your nap works best 8 hours after waking and 8 hours before going to bed- smack in the middle of your day. For example, if you wake up at about 8am and go to bed around midnight, your ideal nap time would be approximately 4pm. For most people, this means a 20 minute nap just after work could be really beneficial to the rest of their day!

In many countries, napping is a normal part of everyone’s work day, usually just after lunch. Even in the United States at the Google Headquarters, they have “Napping Pods”. These pods block out light and sound so their employees can take a short cat-nap before returning to work.

I don’t know about you, but these benefits of napping are definitely enough to make frequent cat-naps a priority. Not just for health reasons, but because napping is literally my favourite thing to do.

benefits of napping

Believe it or not, it was a struggle for my parents to get me to sleep as a child, but now I can’t wait to get cozied up in bed for the night! Funny how things change.

What about you? Do you get joy from reading these benefits of napping? Is it part of your daily schedule? Let me know in the comments below and we can start a napping fan club and get cool jackets! (Just kidding- sorta).

Let’s connect on Instagram    Twitter    Pinterest!

Related Posts:

Benefits of Drinking Coffee

The Week of: Waking Up At 8am


One thought on “Benefits of Napping

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: